In 2013, over 10,000 people in the U.S. were victims of fatal car accidents involving a driver who was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Drunk driving car accidents accounted for nearly a third of all fatal traffic accidents that year. In Pennsylvania the same year, there were 1,208 fatalities as a result of a DUI crash. Sadly, all of these fatalities were preventable. The 2013 rate of fatal drunk driving car accidents declined 2.5% from 2012 to 2013, according to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA.) Despite this decrease, there is still room for improvement to further reduce car accidents involving a DUI. The NHTSA’s report examined the rate of DUI fatal crashes and revealed some interesting findings:
- Demographically, 21-24 year olds had the highest rate of fatal car accidents due to drunk driving. The next high risk group was drivers aged 25-34 year old. These two age groups accounted for more than half of all fatal drunk driving car accidents in 2013.
- According to the most recent data available, five years ago the cost of DUI accidents was an estimated $49.8 billion.
- Statistics show that the risk of a drunk driving car accident quadruples at night, compared to any other time of the day. Moreover, weekends are also risker for DUI crashes with data revealing 15% of drivers were involved in fatal crashes on a weekday, as compared to double that rate, 30%, found to be driving impaired during a weekend.
- Motorcyclists had the highest rate of DUIs. The NHTSA report reveals that motorcycle drivers had the largest percentage of drivers with a blood alcohol content (BAC) above the legal limit of .08.
- An NHTSA crash study conducted in 2012 found that a driver with a BAC of .08 was four times more likely to crash than a sober driver. A BAC level of .15 resulted in 12 times more drunk driving car accidents.
Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates Assist Victims of Drunk Driving Car Accidents
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a drunk driver, call Philadelphia car accident lawyers of Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates. We have the experience and skill to fight for the compensation you deserve. Our law offices are conveniently located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Voorhees, New Jersey and we serve clients throughout the region. To schedule your free confidential consultation today, call us at 215-567-6600 or contact us online.