With winter coming into full swing, it is becoming the most important time of the year to prepare yourself for potential slip and fall accidents. While the beginning of winter was mild, temperatures are beginning to drop and as a result, walking is becoming more slippery and hazardous every day. While some falls may be unavoidable, there are some tips that could save you a major injury, such as:
- Watch out for black-ice patches that form after melting occurs as they are not always immediately visible.
- Watch for slippery floors when entering or exiting buildings, even when signs are not posted.
- Walk slowly and deliberately.
- Use handrails where they are provided.
- Look out for changes in terrain as you are walking, such as grass to concrete or dry to wet ground.
- Wear weather appropriate boots or other slip-resistant footwear.
- Check surroundings and exercise caution when exiting vehicles
- Carry as little as possible. If a large number of items is unavoidable, try to use a backpack or bag to keep arms and hands empty. This can put you at a better advantage should a slip or fall occur.
- Clean your shoes or set them aside when you go inside to minimize wet floors.
What to do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Even knowing the risks and the proper precautions to take, slips and falls are not always avoidable, especially as the weather changes. If a fall is to occur, there are two ways to avoid a worse injury:
- When falling forward, try to roll with the fall. Tensing up or contorting your body makes it more likely that you’ll end up hurt.
- When falling backwards, sit down. If you relax your body as you fall, you are less likely to receive twisting or bending related injuries.
Philadelphia Slip and Fall Lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates Represent Those Injured due to a Slip or Fall Accident
Winter weather can be dangerous and leave lasting risks. If you or a loved one has suffered a slip and fall accident resulting from a property owner’s failure to eliminate icy or slippery patches, contact one of the dedicated Philadelphia slip and fall lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates. Contact us online or call us at 215-567-6600 and we will immediately begin reviewing your case to ensure you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries.