As we anxiously await the return of Spring and warmer temperatures minus snow, motorcycle enthusiasts are also anxiously anticipating long afternoon rides down winding roads and fast highways. Unfortunately, motorcyclists must also anticipate dangerous circumstances as they travel down roads shared with careless auto and truck drivers.
In fact, more than of 1.2 million people were treated in U.S. emergency rooms for injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents from 2001 to 2009, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC.) Moreover, motorcycle accidents caused 34,000 traffic fatalities in the same period of years.
It is estimated that more than 80% of motorcycle accidents are caused by other motor vehicle drivers and not the motorcyclists themselves. Experts emphasize that this is due to the fact that drivers are not accustomed or prepared to safely share the roadways with motorcyclists.
Injuries Common to Motorcycle Crashes
Injuries from motorcycle accidents can often be serious and severely debilitating to victims. In addition to painful physical symptoms, lengthy medical treatment, ongoing rehabilitation, lost work time and costly medical bills are some resulting effects of motorcycle accidents.
Some common injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): Motorcyclists are legally required to wear helmets. However, a helmet does not protect a rider from suffering a traumatic brain injury in the event of a motorcycle crash. Head injuries can vary in severity from mild to more severe and are accompanied by a variety of symptoms. TBI usually require costly medical and rehabilitative care. Victims of TBI injuries are often unable to work and may require long-term or permanent care.
- Spinal Injuries: A motorcycle accident can cause various spinal injuries. These include paralysis, disk herniation, nerve damage or chronic back pain.
- Fractures: Injuries from a motorcycle crash can often cause the accident victim to break a bone. Fractures and broken bones are injuries with long-lasting effects that may require the insertion of plates, rods or screws to repair the bone.
- Disfigurement: A serious motorcycle accident can cause lacerations and burns to a victim that can often result in permanent scars.
- Road Rash: This is a very painful skin injury caused by abrasion with road surfaces from a motorcycle accident.
Recovering Compensation for a Motorcycle Accident
It is important to seek medical treatment in the event of a motorcycle accident, regardless if your injuries are immediately evident. Often injuries do not develop until hours or days post-accident. Seeking proper medical treatment and knowing your rights under the law can help you in the event you need to pursue recovery for damages from your motorcycle accident.
Moreover, contacting an experienced motorcycle accident attorney will ensure you are protected in case you need to pursue compensation in court. A qualified motorcycle accident attorney will seek damages for loss of income, medical bills and any other compensable expenses incurred from your motorcycle injury. An experienced attorney can also help you if your insurance company has denied your initial claim resulting from your accident.
The Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates Fight for the Rights of Injured Victims
The Philadelphia motorcycle accident attorneys at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates help accident victims fight for the compensation they are entitled to under the law. Our knowledgeable, professional car accident lawyers will help you through every step of the process, from filing an insurance claim to litigation. If you have been in a motorcycle accident, call us today at 215-567-6600 for a free consultation or contact us online. Our offices are conveniently located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Cherry Hill, New Jersey.