As we move deeper into the autumn season, the days grow gradually shorter and roadways see more rain. With these extended periods of darkness each day, drivers are at a greater risk of car accidents. Philadelphia car accident lawyers would like to share with you some of the factors that make fall driving risky.
Darkness is not the only environmental factor that contributes to the increased frequency of car accidents and injuries in the fall and winter months. Fog, rain, high winds, and snow all decrease drivers’ visibility, making it more difficult for them to accurately judge hazards in the roadway. Fallen leaves on the pavement, especially wet leaves, are slippery and can cause tires to lose their grip on the ground. If you are involved in a car accident and you suffer an injury, consider working with an experienced personal injury lawyer to pursue monetary compensation for your damages through a car accident claim.
Protect Yourself From Accidents When Driving at Night
Although you cannot completely eliminate your risk of being involved in a car accident in Philadelphia, you can take certain precautions to counteract your increased chance of being involved in a collision when driving at night. Practice the following safety steps to protect yourself and others from injury.
- Make your vehicle visible. Use your headlights 30 minutes prior to sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise as well as all times in between
- Adjust your driving to your surroundings. When visibility is low, drive slower than you drive during the day. Take turns less sharply and always give other vehicles a safe amount of following distance
- Use your high beams safely and respectfully of other drivers. That means that you should not use them when there is another vehicle approaching in the opposite lane
- Have your vision checked regularly and if you wear glasses, wear anti-reflective lenses
- Dim your dashboard lights when driving at night to cut eyestrain and distraction
- If you are tired, pull over and rest. The decreased level of sunlight this time of year can make it easier to feel lethargic and if you are driving late at night, it can be very easy to feel drowsy behind the wheel. Drink coffee or eat a snack before you head out for an evening drive to keep yourself alert and safe.
Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates Can Help You Seek Compensation for Your Car Accident Damages
If you have been injured in a car accident in Philadelphia, whether the accident occurred during the day or the night, in pleasant weather or in poor weather, consider working with the Philadelphia car accident lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates to pursue monetary compensation for your damages. Fill out our online form or call 215-567-6600 today to set up your initial consultation in our Philadelphia, Pennsylvania office. We proudly serve clients from Philadelphia, Bala Cynwyd, Merion Station, Darby, Upper Darby, Sharon Hill, Wynnewood, Narberth, Clifton Heights, Folcroft, Lansdowne, Glenolden, Drexel Hill, Havertown, Cheltenham, Ardmore, Norwood, Holmes, Essington, Elkins Park, Prospect Park, Gladwyne, Chester County, Delaware County, Philadelphia County, and New Jersey.