As the warm spring weather moves in, more and more bicycles will be on the road. Now is the time for all drivers to be especially vigilant of the dangers that can exist when motor vehicles and cyclists share the road.
Many bicycle-related accidents result from vehicle’s failure to yield to a cyclist. When a driver fails to yield to a cyclist or turns left in front of an oncoming bike, a serious collision can occur between the car and the bike.
There are approximately 800-1000 cyclist deaths and 500,000 injuries related to cycling each year in the United States. Both vehicle drivers and cyclists can act proactively to help reduce these numbers.
- Provide adequate space between their vehicle and cyclists on the road,
- Avoid driving too close to curbs or marked bicycle lanes,
- Always check for cyclist traffic before turning left, pulling out of driveways or opening car doors.
- Always wait for traffic to clear before turning left or travelling through stop signs,
- Equip their bicycles with proper lighting before riding at night or in dark conditions,
- Ride with the flow of traffic and follow all the rules of the road,
- Use rear view mirrors on their bikes to obtain a better view of upcoming vehicles,
- Avoid riding too close to parked cars.
Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates Assist Victims of Bicycle Accidents in Obtaining Compensation for their Injuries
If you or a family member has been struck by a car while riding a bicycle, you are likely facing the significant economic burden of past and future medical treatment costs, lost wages, loss of earning capacity and rehabilitation costs in addition to pain and suffering. The experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates handle all types of car accident and bicycle accident claims, from the investigation to settlement negotiations with insurance companies and trial preparation if necessary. With offices conveniently located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Cherry Hill, New Jersey, our attorneys represent clients throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey. To schedule your free confidential consultation, call the personal injury lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates today at 215-567-6600 or submit an online inquiry.