The holiday season is quickly approaching. Winter holidays are the busiest, long-distance travel days of the year. Those traveling more than 50 miles from home increase roadway traffic by 53 percent on Thanksgiving and 23 percent for Christmas and Hanukah. It is a joyous and exciting time for everyone, but the hustle and bustle of shopping and traveling can lead to unfortunate car accidents and serious injuries.
Tips for Preventing Personal Injuries This Winter
Prevent an accident and refer to the following tips for safe road travel this year.
- Before leaving home, listen to the radio or television for weather forecasts, road conditions, or accidents causing delays. Keep an ice scraper, shovel, boots, and gloves in the car.
- Plan a course of travel using a map or GPS device. In case of road closures, have a backup route. Also, let friends and family know when and where you are going.
- Prepare your vehicle for long distance travel and winter weather conditions by checking antifreeze levels, lights, brakes, tires, heater/defroster, windshield wipers, and be sure to carry jumper cables. Keep the gas tank above half-full to account for delays.
- Compile an emergency kit in case you become stranded on the road. The kit should include water, small non- perishable snacks, tools, flares and a flashlight.
- Carry a charged cell phone and a car charger at all times. Using your phone while driving is prohibited, but many road service companies (i.e., AAA) offer smartphone applications to assist motorists in case of emergency.
- Avoid driving when tired, upset, or sick. Take breaks at rest spots or hotels for long periods on the road. Crashes often occur late at night or early in the morning.
- Keep speed down and give yourself time to react to the traffic around you. Let aggressive or speeding drivers pass.
Philadelphia Car Accident Lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates Represent Victims of Car Crashes
Distracted drivers cause automobile accidents every year, resulting in emotional and financial devastation. If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident in Philadelphia, contact Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates immediately. With offices in Philadelphia and Moorestown, New Jersey, our Philadelphia car accident lawyers will ease the stress of your accident, determine responsibility, and hold the negligent driver accountable. Call 215-567-6600 or contact us online to discuss your case.