In the Philadelphia area, motorists may not be used to seeing bicyclists on the road in the colder months as much as they do during the summer months. Motorists need to be more aware of bicyclists on the road, but bicyclists should also take precautions to avoid potential accidents with cars. Bicyclists have the most incentive to take precaution since a cyclist is more likely to suffer greater injury than the motorist.
The following are tips for bicyclists to practice safe riding:
- Attach a headlight to your bike, especially if you plan to ride in the evening hours. Most bicycle accidents occur between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Even if it is not dark outside, a headlight will increase visibility for other drivers.
- Do not use the sidewalk. If you ride on the sidewalk and then cross over into the street, this may confuse a driver of knowing where you are riding.
- Always wear a helmet while riding a bike. Protecting your head will greatly reduce the possibility of a head injury if you are involved in an accident.
- Do not stop in a car’s blind spot. If you stop at a red light next to a car, be sure the driver can see you. You can also avoid this type of accident by looking behind you before turning right.
- Use a mirror on your bicycle. Attaching a mirror on your bicycle will increase your visibility of cars and obstacles around you.
- Do not hug the curb. Taking up more space on the road will increase drivers’ awareness of your presence on the road.
- Use your hand to signal or wave. If you are unable to make eye contact with a driver, use your hand to signal that you are turning or pulling in front of a driver.
- Pick your streets wisely. Use a street with a bike lane when possible or back streets that have less traffic. Think about the time of day or the day of the week you will be traveling and determine if you are driving into a heavily trafficked area prior to going out. If a bike lane is not available, then choose wide streets.
- Take up the whole lane when appropriate. If cars cannot pass you safely on a stretch of road, drive in the middle of the lane until it is safe for cars to pass.
Philadelphia Bicycle Accident Lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates Help Those Injured in Bicycle Accidents
If you were riding a bicycle and have suffered injuries after an accident, the Philadelphia bicycle accident lawyers at Geoffrey B. Gompers & Associates can help. With office locations in Philadelphia and New Jersey, we proudly serve clients from the surrounding areas. Call us today at 215-567-6600 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.